Andrew Trask is a litigator concentrating on intellectual property and technology matters. His practice includes district court litigation, appeals, patent post-grant disputes, and commercial arbitration.
With a doctorate in physical chemistry, work experience in Silicon Valley, and a handful of patents to his name, Andrew enjoys learning complex subjects and simplifying them for lay audiences. His experience spans a wide range of technologies including pharmaceutical and biotech products, mobile apps and hardware, search and video technology, wearable devices, and medical technology.
Andrew has briefed and argued cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, various U.S. district courts, and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. He also handles pro bono matters before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, helping military veterans obtain benefits for service-related medical disabilities.
Andrew is active in several professional organizations. He currently serves as co-Vice Chair of the Rules Committee of the Federal Circuit Bar Association, and he previously served as co-Administrator of the Giles Rich American Inn of Court. Andrew is also a Board member of CulinaryCorps, America's first service-related nonprofit organization for culinary professionals.
Before joining Williams & Connolly as Counsel in 2018, Andrew was an Associate at the Firm from 2012 to 2015. He has also held positions as in-house litigation counsel at Google; as a pharmaceutical scientist at Pfizer; and as a paperboy for the New London Day.
- Conditional Cross-Appeals at the Federal Circuit, 22 FED. CIR. B.J. 501 (2013).
- “Obvious to Try”: A Proper Patentability Standard in the Pharmaceutical Arts?, 76 FORDHAM L. REV. 2625 (2008).
- An Overview of Pharmaceutical Cocrystals as Intellectual Property, 4 MOLECULAR PHARMACEUTICS 301 (2007).
- Pharmaceutical Cocrystals: A Molecular Materials Approach to Physical Property Enhancement, 31 MRS BULL. 875 (2006) (co-author).
- Solid-State Acid-Base Interactions in Complexes of Heterocyclic Bases and Dicarboxylic Acids, 128 J. AM. CHEMICAL SOC’Y, 8199 (2006) (co-author).
- Screening for Inclusion Compounds and Systematic Construction of Three-Component Solids via Liquid-Assisted Grinding, 45 ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE INT’L EDITION 7546 (2006) (co-author).
- Pharmaceutical Cocrystallization: Engineering a Remedy for Caffeine Hydration, 5 CRYSTAL GROWTH DESIGN 1013 (2005) (co-author).
- Solvent-Drop Grinding: Green Polymorph Control of Cocrystallisation, CHEMICAL COMM. 890 (2004) (co-author).