Williams & Connolly’s lawyers handle virtually every kind of complex commercial litigation imaginable, from breach of contract and professional liability actions involving billions of dollars to the defense of major consumer or securities class actions, in trials, litigations, and arbitrations throughout the United States and abroad. The firm handles the most complex cases facing businesses in any industry, with a particular emphasis on preparing and taking cases to trial. Commercial litigation is one of the broadest categories of law, and many of its subsets—contract disputes, financial services litigation, employment law, real estate, tax controversies, class actions and product liability—are described separately.
Examples of areas of firm experience include: arbitration, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, business dissolution, civil RICO, construction disputes, ERISA, employment disputes, financial services litigation, franchise issues, fraud, insurance coverage controversies, restrictive covenant agreements, internal governance disputes, securities, shareholder issues, tax protection, trade secrets, tortious interference and unfair competition.
Representative Williams & Connolly clients in general civil and commercial litigation include a virtual “Who’s Who” of corporations: UBS, Pfizer, Bayer, General Electric, Office Depot, Merck, Deutsche Bank, The Washington Post, Medco, McDonald’s, AutoNation, Inc. and AES Corp., to name a few.
Examples of major commercial litigation handled by Williams & Connolly include:
- Lead counsel for two of the world’s largest banks in multi-billion dollar litigation related to mortgage-backed securities.
- Lead counsel for another large commercial lender in lawsuits brought by bankruptcy trustees that seek to recover hundreds of millions of dollars in loan proceeds that were paid to the lender by companies that allegedly were engaged in a multi-billion dollar fraud scheme.
- Won summary judgment in California for a public company in a breach of contract action brought by a major automobile manufacturer.
- Lead counsel in a $100 million consumer class action against one of the nation’s largest wireless carriers alleging fraudulent billing practices.
- Won a plaintiff's verdict for a manufacturing company in New York against a defendant corporation for breach of a commercial lease.
- Won reversal in North Carolina of an arbitrator’s certification of a nationwide class against a public company.
- Co-lead counsel on behalf of a national accounting firm in consumer and competitor class actions seeking hundreds of millions of dollars based on alleged misrepresentations relating to the provision of services.
- Lead counsel on behalf of leading defense firms in a $100 million bid protest hearing.
- Won a liability verdict for a nationwide hotel corporation in a case seeking specific performance.
- Lead counsel on behalf of a leading food industry producer in both defensive and affirmative products liability actions involving alleged food borne illness.
- Successfully defended for several years and in multiple jurisdictions a law firm that had advised Enron before its collapse, finally obtaining the voluntary dismissal of the claims by the shareholder class without any settlement or payment.
- Defended a national law firm whose case was dismissed from the largest securities litigation pending against a law firm at the time.
- Successfully represented clients in commercial arbitration that resulted in winning $10 million for the Baltimore Orioles and naming rights to Camden Yards.
- Represented numerous hedge funds and other investment vehicles in both court and arbitration proceedings brought by investors in the funds, alleging fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and other claims. Successfully represented a fee owner in extensive arbitration concerning redevelopment of the World Trade Center.
- Won verdicts valued above $1 billion in a five-month trial involving multiple transactions in a large, closely-held corporation.