In recent years, the number of actions brought by governmental entities and qui tam plaintiffs under federal and state false claims laws has increased substantially. Since 2008, more than 4,000 new FCA-related matters have been generated nationwide, and the total value of settlements and judgments obtained in FCA-related actions has exceeded $18 billion. This increased activity has been driven in part by aggressive enforcement theories, expanded whistleblower protection laws, and increased activity at the state level.
Williams & Connolly LLP advises and defends public and private companies, their officers and directors, and individuals in all aspects of civil and criminal proceedings brought under federal and state false claims laws. FCA-related proceedings often require the analysis of complex factual allegations, which arise in the context of highly-regulated federal and state programs and intricate government contract requirements. The firm’s experience in high-stakes litigation and its rigorous approach to factual investigation and legal analysis make it particularly well-suited to represent clients in such matters.
Over the last 15 years, Williams & Connolly has represented clients in a wide range of industries in FCA-related litigation and investigations. Among others, these clients have included prominent health care companies, pharmaceutical manufacturers, hospitals, banks and other financial institutions, accounting firms, military and defense companies, telecommunications companies, specialty retail companies, large industrial supply companies, and global construction and engineering firms.
Some of Williams & Connolly’s representative matters have included:
- The representation of a Fortune 500 industrial supply company in a civil False Claims Act matter alleging improper pricing disclosures and discounting policies in contracts with the GSA and Postal Service.
- The representation of a Fortune 250 specialty retail company in connection with allegations that it had overcharged government entities on certain federal, state, and local government contracts in amounts allegedly totaling hundreds of millions of dollars.
- The representation of a prominent health care company in a civil False Claims Act matter alleging tens of millions of dollars in damages.
- The representation of a global telecommunications company in civil False Claims Act litigation filed by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- The representation of a prominent construction and engineering company that retained the firm to defend it in civil and criminal litigation arising out of Boston’s “Big Dig” road construction project.