Williams & Connolly’s Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) experience is broad in scope. The firm represents multinational corporations, other businesses, and senior executives in FCPA investigations by the Department of Justice (“DOJ”) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”). We assist clients with FCPA issues in the context of securities class actions, civil litigation, arbitration and other disputes that arise out of FCPA investigations. We also regularly represent corporate and individual clients in internal investigations and advise corporate clients regarding their FCPA compliance programs.
The firm’s extensive experience in FCPA defense work and counseling spans the globe, including in key emerging markets like Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa, Mexico, and other locations across Africa, Asia, Europe, North and South America, and the Middle East.
Our attorneys are actively involved in FCPA issues outside of the firm. One partner authored a leading treatise, Corporate Counsel Guidelines, which is an invaluable resource for in-house counsel. Other partners have served as co-chairs of the American Bar Association’s FCPA and Transnational Criminal Matters Subcommittees and have lectured on FCPA-related issues.
Representative Experience: Corporate Clients
- Representation of a media and publishing company in a four-year DOJ investigation into allegations of bribery of foreign officials.
- Representation of a global biopharmaceutical company and its affiliates in a DOJ investigation related to contracts with the Iraqi Ministry of Health.
- Representation of a multinational food company in DOJ and SEC investigations involving FCPA issues spanning five continents.
- Representation of a foreign bank in connection with a DOJ FCPA investigation regarding alleged bribery in Venezuela.
- Representation of a multinational mining company in an SEC FCPA investigation relating to alleged corruption in South Africa.
- Representation of a petrochemicals firm in a DOJ investigation concerning alleged FCPA violations in Russia.
- Representation of a multinational media company in an SEC investigation regarding alleged FCPA violations in India.
Representative Experience: Individual Clients
- Representation of a former senior executive of a transportation company in an FCPA investigation into alleged corruption in South Africa.
- Representation of a former senior executive of an international energy trading company in an FCPA investigation by the DOJ and a U.S. Attorney’s Office into alleged corruption in Africa and South America.
- Representation of the Chairman of the Board and former CEO of a pharmaceutical company in investigations by the SEC and DOJ for potential violations of the FCPA.
- Representation of a telecommunications executive in a DOJ investigation relating to activities in Russia and Ukraine.
- Representation of a senior executive of an international energy company in multinational investigations by the DOJ, SEC, the Serious Fraud Office (U.K.) and other foreign agencies into allegations of foreign bribery and corruption.
- Representation of a private family business and its owners in a DOJ investigation into allegations of potential FCPA violations and money laundering, stemming from an international corruption investigation in South Africa.
- Representation of a senior executive of a large oil services company in a DOJ FCPA investigation.
- Representation of the former CEO of one of the largest companies in the world in a joint DOJ and SEC FCPA investigation into allegations of unlawful payments to foreign officials on three continents.
- Representation of a financial services executive in a joint DOJ and SEC anti-corruption investigation relating to natural resources investment activities.
- Representation of the former executive of an energy services company in an FCPA investigation into allegations concerning the use of intermediary companies to procure business with a foreign government.