Founded in 1967 by legendary defense attorney Edward Bennett Williams, Williams & Connolly was one of the first major law firms in the United States with a significant criminal defense practice. Since then, as the business and regulatory environments have grown ever more complex, and as government enforcement has become increasingly aggressive and pervasive, the firm has retained its position as one of the premier white-collar defense law firms in the world.
Williams & Connolly has extensive experience representing individuals, public and private corporations, and other entities in internal investigations, often arising in connection with government investigations and inquiries. Our work has spanned a wide array of subject matters, including securities and financial fraud, insider trading, antitrust, healthcare fraud, environmental, tax, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”), public corruption, and export controls, among other areas. The firm has been involved in international work throughout North America, as well as in Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Africa.
A representative sampling of some of the firm’s matters in this area include:
- Representation of a financial services company in response to investigations by the United States Department of the Treasury's Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (“FinCEN”) and a United States Attorney's Office regarding the adequacy of controls related to its anti-money laundering compliance. The firm conducted an internal investigation, presented to the United States Attorney's Office, and advised the client on how to resolve the FinCEN and Department of Justice (“DOJ”) investigations.
- Representation of a global investment company in an internal investigation into potential insider trading issues in connection with a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”) inquiry.
- Representation of a multinational food corporation in DOJ and Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) investigations relating to FCPA issues spanning five continents.
- Representation of a company in an internal investigation regarding allegations that an executive of the company attempted to cause the company to reimburse employees for political contributions, in violation of the Federal Election Campaign Act.
- Representation of a government contractor in responding to a Department of Defense (“DOD”) Inspector General subpoena and related DOJ inquiry concerning alleged things of value provided to a government employee.
- Representation of a technology company in an internal investigation of certain accounting matters in response to a whistleblower complaint.
- Representation of a publicly traded construction company specializing in telecommunications networks in response to serious whistleblower allegations and a lengthy federal investigation.
- Representation of a global biopharmaceutical company and its affiliates on FCPA matters related to ongoing business activities in the Middle East region.
- Representation of a major defense contractor in several internal investigations arising in the context of contracts with federal entities.
- Representation of a major defense contractor in an internal investigation regarding watercraft technology.
- Conducted an internal investigation at the request of an Audit Committee on behalf of a large publicly traded company in which a departing senior executive asserted inflammatory allegation of sexual harassment and Sarbanes Oxley violations as to the conduct of C-suite level executives.
- Representation of the former Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors of comScore, Inc. in an SEC investigation.
- Representation of an executive in an internal investigation of alleged whistleblower matter.
- Representation of a former senior executive of a large manufacturing company in DOJ and SEC FCPA investigation.
- Representation of an executive of an international energy company in an FCPA investigation by the SEC and DOJ in connection with alleged bribes paid to foreign officials.
- Representation of a senior bond trader at a major financial institution in connection with a global, cross-border investigation by the DOJ and U.K. authorities into alleged collusion in the trading and underwriting of numerous bond offerings.
- Representation of a senior automobile executive in investigations related to allegations of improperly concealed compensation.