Jon Landy, Co-Chair of the firm’s International Disputes practice, focuses his practice on international and domestic commercial arbitrations and investor-state arbitrations. He has experience before many of the world’s leading arbitral institutions—including ICSID, ICC, AAA/ICDR, and HKIAC—in matters that have spanned a range of jurisdictional law and subject matter, including an increasing emphasis in recent years on both investment treaty arbitrations and patent-licensing commercial disputes. Jon’s experience in these matters involves a range of industries—pharmaceuticals, medical devices, semiconductors, mobile telephony, infrastructure, and construction—and spans a wide array of factual, legal, and expert areas.
He is an experienced litigator outside of the international arbitration context, including in trial and appellate courts throughout the United States, in both bench and jury trials, and in civil, commercial, and criminal matters.
Jon also has extensive experience representing law firms in legal malpractice matters, financial services institutions and multinational corporations in commercial litigation and government investigations, and labor unions in government investigations and civil litigation.
Jon graduated from Dartmouth College, magna cum laude, in 1995, and in 1998 from the Yale Law School, where he was senior editor of the Yale Law Journal. Before joining the firm in 1999, Jon was a law clerk to Judge Louis F. Oberdorfer of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
Jon is Clinical Visiting Lecturer at Yale Law School, where he teaches Advocacy in International Arbitration. Jon is a member of the advisory board of the Celiac Disease Program at the Children’s National Health System in Washington, D.C.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration, seated in Paris, involving a patent-licensing agreement concerning a gastrointestinal drug
- Representation of a medical device company in an ICDR arbitration, seated in Wilmington, Delaware, concerning interpretation of a merger agreement in connection with the acquisition of a medical devices company
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company in an ICC arbitration, seated in Paris, involving the scope and interpretation of a patent license and drug development agreement
- Representation of a major technology company in an ICC arbitration, seated in California, concerning the valuation of cross-licensing rights to standard-essential telecommunications patents
- Representation of a global electronics manufacturer in an ICC arbitration, seated in New York, involving the scope of a patent-license agreement
- Representation of a medical diagnostics company in an ad hoc arbitration, seated in Sweden, relating to the scope of a patent-license agreement
- Representation of a multinational law firm in an ICDR arbitration concerning a claim of legal malpractice in an intellectual property licensing transaction
- Representation of a Mauritius investment company in an ICC arbitration, seated in London, concerning minority shareholder rights in an Indian telecommunications company
- Representation of a Kuwaiti corporation in an ICC arbitration, seated in Washington, involving the supply of provisions to U.S. military personnel in Kuwait and Iraq
- Representation of a hotel-management company in an ICC arbitration, seated in London, concerning a management dispute at a hotel in the Middle East
- Representation of a multinational law firm in an AAA arbitration concerning a claim of legal malpractice in connection with an M&A transaction
“Litigation Star,” Benchmark Litigation, 2023
“Local Litigation Star” in Arbitration, Benchmark Litigation, 2019-2023
“Future Star,” Benchmark Litigation, 2019-2021
“Leading Patent Litigation Attorney,” IAM Patent 1000, 2019-2020