Jerry Shulman has been with Williams & Connolly since 1972 (a partner since 1978), with a one-year excursion into the business world as the Vice President, Planning and Corporate Development at Studebaker-Worthington, Inc.
In the early 1980s, Jerry, who was originally a litigator, began developing the firm's corporate, transactional, and finance practices. Jerry’s commercial practice focuses on counseling high net worth individuals and privately held concerns regarding the creation and governance of both operating and investment entities, business restructuring, “non-marital divorces" resolving intra-family business disputes, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance issues for public and private entities, executive employment and severance matters (for both employers and executives), and complex financing and commercial transactions. Jerry also participates actively in corporate, contract and securities litigation matters, including the negotiation of complex settlement agreements.
Jerry has served as a member of the firm's Executive Committee and Hiring Committee. He also serves as the firm’s contact with its pension counsel and actuary, as a principal reviewer of responses to auditors and as co-chair of the firm’s securities trading review committee. In addition, he has served as an adjunct professor at Georgetown Law Center, a PLI panelist on securities filings, and a trustee of Georgetown Day School. Jerry is currently a member of the Committee on Partnerships and Unincorporated Business Organizations within the Business Law Section of the ABA.
- Representing partners in a series of D.C. real estate partnerships in a complex and hostile renegotiation of partnership governance and economic arrangements, including several related refinancings.
- Representing the Sidney Harman family in its acquisition of Newsweek Magazine and its merger with The Daily Beast.
- Representing a large local hospital in both negotiating affiliation agreements and the acquisition of a major new facility.
- Consulting with firm litigators (i) on a large commercial arbitration and negotiating a multi-party settlement of the matter, and (ii) in defending a major national bank against allegations of bank fraud and securities violations in the sale of asset-backed securities.
- Representing a large privately-held automotive distributor on corporate governance matters and financings.
- Representing two of the three principals in a private equity management company in negotiating the exit of the third principal and the restructuring of the company.
- Representing the CEO, director and former principal shareholder of a Brazilian construction company in various commercial arbitrations.
- Representing a senior official during an internal investigation at a government-sponsored enterprise.
- Representing a major financial industry consulting group in establishing a mortgage trading and compliance business; creating various equity equivalent incentive plans; and developing a formal strategic plan and a securities trading policy.
- Negotiating a wide variety of employment agreements and severance agreements for chief executive officers and other senior executives - of both public and private companies.