Vidya Atre Mirmira has extensive experience in complex corporate litigation; employment, whistleblower, and ERISA litigation; whistleblower issues and investigations; and legal ethics.
Illustrative of her practice, Vidya has represented global corporations in employment and whistleblower litigation; corporations and individuals in a number of employment-related disputes; and leading law firms and their attorneys in proceedings before the District of Columbia Office of Bar Counsel. Vidya also advises on whistleblower issues and conducts related internal investigations.
Born in India, Vidya grew up in Fort Wayne, Indiana. She graduated Purdue University, summa cum laude, in 1996, earning a B.S. in electrical engineering and a minor in economics. Vidya received her J.D., cum laude, from the University of Chicago Law School, where she was co-founder and executive editor of the Chicago Journal of International Law. She joined Williams & Connolly in 2001 after clerking for Chief Judge Carolyn Dineen King of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Vidya is a member of Williams & Connolly’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Associate Evaluation Committee, and Discovery Attorney Committee. She has previously served on the firm’s Hiring Committee.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Vidya’s experience includes:
- Representing Intel-related defendants in putative ERISA class actions filed in the Northern District of California involving target date funds in a 401(k) plan
- Represented global wealth management firm in a confidential, binding arbitration of discrimination claims, with the Arbitrator returning a decision in favor of firm on all claims
- Represented leading global professional services company in ERISA breach of fiduciary duty litigation alleging negligent investment advice
- Defended global corporation and officers in ERISA class action, obtaining defense trial verdict that was affirmed by the Seventh Circuit
- Representing national anesthesia services provider in litigation involving non-competes, successfully defending against multiple motions for preliminary injunction
- Represented leading private equity firm in whistleblower litigation in federal and state courts, resulting in dismissal of all claims with no payment by defendants
- Represented global financial institution in FINRA arbitration against claims by former employee who was terminated following internal investigation
- Representing global firm and co-founder in federal court litigation against employment-based claims
- Representing privately-held company in various employment-related matters, including non-compete/non-solicitation issues and payment disputes
- Conducting internal investigation of whistleblower complaint against CEO for privately held company’s independent directors
- Defended company against discrimination complaints filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, securing dismissal of one complaint and successfully resolving another
- Represented Board of portfolio company of global private equity firm in internal investigation of senior executive alleging unfair treatment
- Conducted internal investigation of executive’s claims against senior management for publicly-traded company’s audit committee
- Conducted internal investigation of whistleblower complaint for global private equity firm
- Represented leading private equity fund against multi-million dollar claims from an investor, prevailing on a motion to dismiss that was affirmed by the First Circuit
- Represented global financial institution in a series of related litigations arising from its role as an indenture trustee
- Defended publicly-traded corporation against charges of sexual harassment and race and gender discrimination in federal court litigation
- Represented clients in proceedings in Office of Bar Counsel in District of Columbia
- Defended national law firms in a number of professional malpractice cases
- Represented start-up venture in AAA arbitration against global health care company
Selected to Washington, D.C. “Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers, 2015