Vidya Atre Mirmira is Co-Chair of the firm’s Employment Litigation practice group. She has extensive experience in complex corporate litigation, including class actions; employment, trade secrets, whistleblower, and ERISA litigation; whistleblower issues and investigations; and legal ethics.
Illustrative of her practice, Vidya has represented global corporations in employment, trade secrets, and whistleblower litigation; and leading law firms and their attorneys in professional liability litigation and in proceedings before the District of Columbia Office of Bar Counsel. Vidya also advises on whistleblower issues and conducts related internal investigations. Since 2020, Benchmark Litigation has recognized Vidya a “Labor and Employment Star.”
Born in India, Vidya grew up in Fort Wayne, Indiana. She graduated Purdue University, summa cum laude, in 1996, earning a B.S. in electrical engineering and a minor in economics. Vidya received her J.D., cum laude, from the University of Chicago Law School, where she was co-founder and executive editor of the Chicago Journal of International Law. She joined Williams & Connolly in 2001 after clerking for Chief Judge Carolyn Dineen King of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Vidya is a member of Williams & Connolly’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Associate Evaluation Committee, and Discovery Attorney Committee. She has previously served on the firm’s Hiring Committee.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Vidya’s experience includes:
- Representing water treatment subsidiary of a global conglomerate in trade secret litigation in federal and state courts, involving violations of the Defend Trade Secrets Act (“DTSA”) and related state law claims, such as unfair competition. Recently prevailed on Daubert motion to strike trade secret damages expert asserting hundred of millions of dollars in damages.
- Representing national anesthesia services provider in litigation involving restrictive covenants, which alleged claims including unfair competition, unjust enrichment, and misuse of confidential information, successfully defending against multiple motions for preliminary injunction, obtaining summary judgment in April 2022, and defeating summary judgment on counterclaim for fees in November 2023.
- Represented leading private equity firm in litigation asserting federal and state discrimination and retaliation claims, obtaining voluntary dismissal in November 2023 after filing motions to dismiss.
- Representing retirement plan fiduciaries of Intel Corporation in a putative nationwide class action suit in the Northern District of California arising under ERISA that challenges allocations of plan assets to alternative investments such as hedge funds and private equity, obtaining dismissal with prejudice of all class claims in January 2022.
- Represented leading private equity firm in whistleblower litigation in federal and state courts, resulting in dismissal of all claims with no payment by defendants.
- Represented global wealth management firm in a confidential, binding arbitration of discrimination claims, with the Arbitrator returning a decision in favor of firm on all claims.
- Representing Am Law 100 firm in litigation arising from alleged investment misconduct.
- Defended global corporation and officers in ERISA class action, obtaining defense trial verdict that was affirmed by the Seventh Circuit.
- Represented global financial institution in FINRA arbitration against claims by former employee who was terminated following internal investigation.
- Conducting internal investigation of whistleblower complaint against CEO for privately held company’s independent directors.
- Defended company against discrimination complaints filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, securing dismissal of one complaint and successfully resolving another.
- Represented Board of portfolio company of global private equity firm in internal investigation of senior executive alleging unfair treatment.
- Represented clients in proceedings in Office of Bar Counsel in District of Columbia.
"Labor and Employment Star," Benchmark Litigation, 2020-2024
Selected to Washington, D.C. “Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers, 2015