Vidya Atre Mirmira has extensive experience in complex corporate litigation, ERISA litigation and employment-related issues, whistleblower issues, and legal ethics.
Illustrative of her practice, Vidya has represented global corporations in ERISA litigation and financial services litigation; corporations and individuals in a number of employment-related disputes; and leading law firms and their attorneys in proceedings before the District of Columbia Office of Bar Counsel. Vidya also advises on whistleblower issues and represents clients in related litigations and proceedings.
Vidya is active in the firm’s pro bono work, in which she has represented clients facing criminal charges at trial and on appeal. She has negotiated favorable plea bargains on behalf of her clients, prevailed at a jury trial for one client with a hung jury, and obtained a reversal on appeal—and new trial—for another client following her argument to the Maryland Court of Appeals. Sivells v. State, 196 Md. App. 254 (2010), cert. petition dismissed State v. Sivells, 421 Md. 659 (2011).
Born in India, Vidya grew up in Fort Wayne, Indiana. She graduated Purdue University, summa cum laude, in 1996, earning a B.S. in electrical engineering and a minor in economics. Vidya received her J.D., cum laude, from the University of Chicago Law School, where she was co-founder and executive editor of the Chicago Journal of International Law. She joined Williams & Connolly in 2001 after clerking for Chief Judge Carolyn Dineen King of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Vidya served on the Williams & Connolly Hiring Committee from 2004 to 2009 and once again from 2012 to 2015. She is currently a member of Williams & Connolly’s Associate Evaluation, Partner-Associate, and Discovery Attorneys committees. Vidya began serving as a member of the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee in 2018.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Vidya’s experience includes:
- Represented global wealth management firm in a confidential, binding arbitration of discrimination claims, with the Arbitrator returning a decision in favor of firm on all claims
- Representing Intel in putative ERISA class action filed in Northern District of California
- Representing a global financial institution in a series of RMBS-related litigations arising from its role as an indenture trustee
- Represented leading private equity firm in whistleblower litigation, resulting in dismissal of all claims with no payment by defendants
- Defended company against discrimination complaints filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, securing dismissal of one complaint and successfully resolving another
- Represented leading global professional services company in ERISA breach of fiduciary duty litigation alleging negligent investment advice
- Represented clients in proceedings in Office of Bar Counsel in District of Columbia
- Represented leading private equity fund against multi-million dollar claims from an investor. Huffington v. T.C. Group, LLC, 685 F. Supp. 2d 239 (D. Mass. 2010) (motion to dismiss granted), affirmed 637 F.3d 18 (1st Cir. 2011).
- Defended global corporation and officers in ERISA class action. Nelson v. IPALCO Enterprises, Inc., 480 F. Supp. 2d 1061 (S.D. Ind. 2007) (defense trial verdict), affirmed Nelson v. Hodowal, 512 F.3d 347 (7th Cir. 2008).
- Represented international law firm in multiple proceedings arising from law firm’s representation of Enron, prevailing on motion to dismiss in the ERISA litigation and obtaining voluntary dismissal by shareholder class of other claims without any payment
- Defended national law firms in a number of professional malpractice cases
- Represented start-up venture in AAA arbitration against global health care company
- Conducted Sarbanes-Oxley investigation for publicly-traded company’s audit committee
- Defended publicly-traded corporation against charges of sexual harassment and race and gender discrimination
- Represented individuals with claims of harassment and discrimination against major corporations
Selected to Washington, D.C. “Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers, 2015