Alex Zolan has experience representing clients involved in a variety of litigation matters in federal and state court, and before government agencies. He also has experience defending clients facing civil and criminal investigations. His clients have included individuals, large and small businesses, financial institutions, pharmaceutical companies, professional organizations, and non-profits. Alex’s trial experience includes bench and jury trials in state and federal courts, including the Delaware Court of Chancery.
Alex has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in civil litigation involving a range of issues, including commercial disputes, partnership disputes, free speech, campaign finance, professional malpractice, securities law, discrimination, and fraud. Alex has also litigated patent disputes, including representing brand-side pharmaceutical companies in Hatch-Waxman cases and in inter partes review proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office ("USPTO"). Alex’s criminal defense work has involved allegations of fraud, political corruption, insider trading, and disclosure of classified information.
A native of West Hartford, Connecticut, Alex graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree from Trinity College before attending Cornell Law School, where he graduated magna cum laude and served as an Articles Editor on the Cornell Law Review. After law school, Alex clerked first for the Honorable Frederic Block on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, and then for the Honorable Edward C. Prado on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Represented a Bank CEO in Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation ("FDIC")/Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") government investigations, enforcement matters and shareholder suits
- Represented branded pharmaceutical companies in Hatch-Waxman litigation and before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board ("PTAB"), including presenting oral argument in inter partes review proceedings
- Represented a global regulatory consulting firm in business valuation dispute in Delaware Court of Chancery
- Represented two small companies and their president in a commercial dispute against a former employee
- Represented a former Central Intelligence Agency ("CIA") senior official in a criminal investigation
- Represented a law firm accused of breaching its fiduciary duties to a state pension fund
- Represented a manufacturer of dental composites in patent litigation against a competitor
- Represented a media company accused of defamation
- Represented an individual in an investigation into campaign contributions and political corruption
- Represented a Director of a large non-profit organization in a variety of litigation matters and investigations
- Represented a financial adviser in an insider trading probe
- Represented an executive at a Fortune 500 company in an SEC investigation
- Represented a senior officer of Fannie Mae in government investigations
- Represented a private school accused of discriminating against an employee