Williams & Connolly partner Steven Pyser focuses his practice on complex civil litigation and government investigations. On behalf of both corporations and individuals he has litigated a broad range of disputes that reflect his extensive experience in class-action, products liability, breach of contract, and cases arising from tax, audit, and securities matters.
Steven has represented clients in public trials, as well as confidential matters resolved to his client’s benefit. Steven was born and raised in Rockaway, New Jersey. He received his B.S., with distinction, from Cornell University and a J.D. from the Harvard Law School. He joined Williams & Connolly LLP after serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Joel M. Flaum, Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Steven’s experience includes:
- Trial counsel for an inventor’s family in a three-week breach of contract and patent licensing trial that resulted in a $309 million jury verdict in favor of his client. This verdict ranked as the #7 verdict of American Lawyer Media Top 100 verdicts of 2014.
- Represented technology company in shareholder derivative litigation, resulting in dismissal by the trial court.
- Represented an individual accused of misappropriating trade secrets in criminal and civil litigation. The government’s indictment was dismissed with prejudice, and the client received payments from his former employer, thus resolving the civil case.
- Represented British Petroleum in multi-district litigation proceedings arising out of the Deepwater Horizon Spill.
- Represented a leading U.S. accounting firm and its partners accused of malpractice and other wrongdoing in federal and state courts.
- Represented individuals and corporations in grand jury, Securities Exchange Commission, and Commodity Futures Trading Commission investigations.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in a nation-wide products liability action.
- Represented technology and other companies facing class action litigation, including securities class action lawsuits.
- Represented pro bono clients in a variety of criminal matters.
Selected to Washington, D.C. “Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers, 2014-2015
Law Clerk, Chief Judge Joel M. Flaum, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit