Kevin Downey practices in the areas of complex criminal and civil litigation. He continues Williams & Connolly's tradition of representing entities and individuals who face challenging, high profile cases, charges or investigations. He has represented several Fortune 100 companies and some of the nation's largest law firms. He has also represented dozens of corporate executives, including the current and former CEOs of several Fortune 25 companies, and many current and former government officials, including Cabinet members. Kevin has served as lead counsel and tried cases in federal and state courts and agencies across the country, as well as matters in arbitration. In addition to his work in court matters, Kevin represents clients who are subject to investigation by committees of both Houses of the United States Congress.
Kevin has been consistently recognized for many years for excellence in the practice of law by Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America, Legal 500, Benchmark Litigation, Super Lawyers, and Washingtonian Magazine.
Kevin grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated magna cum laude from Dartmouth College in 1988 where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his J.D., magna cum laude, from Harvard Law School, where he served as an Editor of the Harvard Law Review. After a clerkship for Judge Edward R. Becker of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Kevin joined Williams & Connolly in 1992 and has been a partner since 2000. He served as a member of the Firm's Executive Committee from 2009 to 2012.
He is a past Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Thurgood Marshall Academy Public Charter High School. He is also a member of the District of Columbia's Federal City Council and Economic Club. He has taught as adjunct law professor at both Georgetown University Law Center and George Washington University Law School.
Kevin lives in the District of Columbia with his wife, Michele Jolin, and their three children.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Kevin’s experience includes:
- Lead counsel for the former Chairman and CEO of a Fortune 25 company against securities fraud claims. After extensive hearings over several years, the Court awarded summary judgment in the executive’s favor on all counts.
- Lead trial counsel for former Fortune 25 CEO at trial, leading to resolution of claims.
- Represented CEO of technology company in indicted securities fraud matter in which the government ultimately voluntarily dismissed all charges.
- Lead counsel for investment bank in matter involving alleged securities fraud.
- Lead counsel for AmLaw 10 law firm involving claim of alleged malpractice.
- Lead counsel for former CEO of a Fortune 500 retail business in investigations concerning the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Lead counsel for real estate developer in matters related to public corruption.
- Lead counsel for Chief Financial Officer of an energy company in SEC matter related to accounting restatement.
- Lead counsel for Fortune 50 energy company on certain matters in MDL.
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
“Local Litigation Star,” 2015-2017 and “Future Star,” 2012-2014 Benchmark Litigation
“Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations (DC),” and “Securities (DC),” Chambers USA, 2010-2017
“Securities Litigation (Nationwide),” Chambers USA, 2013-2017
“Washington’s Top Lawyers,” in the category of Criminal Defense & White Collar, Washingtonian magazine, 2017
“Washington’s Best Lawyers” in the category of Criminal Defense, White Collar, Washingtonian magazine, 2009, 2011, 2013, and 2015
Recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America ®, 2011-2018
"Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year for Washington, D.C.," The Best Lawyers in America ®, 2017
“Criminal Defense: White-Collar Lawyer of the Year for Washington, D.C.,” The Best Lawyers in America ®, 2014
Law Clerk, Judge Edward R. Becker, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1991-1992