Heidi Hubbard tries cases in state and federal courts throughout the country. Her practice includes commercial litigation, as well as the defense of products liability claims, multidistrict litigation, class actions, and professional liability suits. Heidi is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers; and she has been named among the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” in America (Benchmark Litigation 2018). She currently serves on Williams & Connolly’s 6-member Executive Committee.
Chambers USA (2013-2017) reported that Heidi "draws praise as a ‘terrific trial lawyer’" and “is repeatedly commended for her strong trial capabilities” and her "genuine jury presence." LMG Life Sciences (2013-2017) highlights her “tremendous amount of trial experience” and, in 2017, named her “Product Liability Attorney of the Year.”
Heidi also was named Benchmark Litigation’s “Product Liability Attorney of the Year” in 2016. In 2015, LMG Life Sciences named her defense verdict in Tersigni v. Wyeth et al. as the products liability “Impact Case of the Year.” Heidi currently co-chairs Williams & Connolly’s Products Liability, Torts & Medicine practice group.
In addition to her trial work, Heidi represents clients in government investigations by federal and state entities, as well as related qui tam litigation. Her appellate work has focused on issues involving federal preemption, applicable law, punitive damages, and class settlement fairness.
After graduating from Stanford Law School, Heidi joined Williams & Connolly LLP in 1986. From 1992 to 1993, she took a leave of absence to join the full-time faculty at Brigham Young University's law school in her home state of Utah, where she taught torts and trial practice and coordinated the trial advocacy program. She returned to Williams & Connolly in 1993 and has been a partner since January 1996.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Heidi’s experience includes:
- In 2017, Heidi was lead trial counsel for the defense in state court in Wilmington, DE, in a commercial dispute involving contract and trade secrets claims in excess of $400 million. After summary judgment for Heidi’s client on the trade secrets claims, the jury returned a defense verdict on the contract claims, thereby resolving all claims in favor of her client (subject to the plaintiff’s appeal).
- In 2015, Heidi was lead trial counsel in a 2-month bench trial in the Southern District of New York, defending against $1billion+ in fraud and civil RICO claims; the case resolved after conclusion of the trial and while awaiting the court’s decision.
- In 2014, she tried a pharmaceutical products liability trial (D. Mass.) that resulted in a defense verdict in favor of her client, marking the first time the client had prevailed on the adequacy of the warning for the injury at issue.
- In 2013, she tried a $500+ million commercial contract dispute involving a failed securitization, resulting in a defense judgment in favor of her client.
- Heidi also tried the first hormone therapy case to result in a defense verdict in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- In the past eight years, Heidi has tried cases in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Wilmington, St. Louis, Chicago, Utah, and Nevada. And she has been lead counsel in trial-set cases in California, Colorado, Maryland, Florida, New Jersey, and West Virginia.
- She has defended, as lead and trial counsel, products liability cases involving pharmaceuticals, surgical implants, medical-device component parts, children’s products, and electrical devices.
- Heidi’s personal injury defense work includes, as lead and trial counsel, defending against exposure claims arising from talc, asbestos, and chemical spills.
- In the qui tam/false claims act area, she handles matters in state and federal court involving alleged contractual breaches and claims of implied certification.
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
"Product Liability Attorney of the Year," LMG Life Sciences, 2017
“Top 100 Trial Lawyers,” Benchmark Litigation, 2015-2018
“Products Liability Attorney of the Year (Nationwide),” Benchmark Litigation, 2016
Band 1 (and Spotlight Table), Products Liability & Mass Torts (Nationwide), Chambers USA, 2016-2017
“Trial Pros Q&A: Williams & Connolly’s Heidi Hubbard,” Law360, 2016
“Life Science Star,” LMG Life Sciences, 2012-2017
"National Litigation Star," Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2017
“Top 250 Women in Litigation,” Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2017
“Washington’s Top Lawyers,” in the category of Civil Defense, Washingtonian magazine, 2017
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
“Female Powerbrokers Q&A: Williams & Connolly's Heidi Hubbard,” Law360, 2014
“500 Leading Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2015-2018