Steven Pyser is a trial attorney with more than fifteen years of experience in complex civil litigation at Williams & Connolly. Steve represents clients in state and federal cases relating to mass torts, healthcare, contract and commercial disputes, financial services, product liability, and government investigations. He has successfully represented clients at all stages of trial and in confidential negotiations outside the courtroom.
Steve served as lead trial counsel for a healthcare services company in the first opioid jury trial in the nation. In 2023 he was trial counsel in two successful defense jury verdicts; one in state court involving a healthcare services company and another in federal court representing a bank in a certified class action.
Steve received his B.S., with distinction, from Cornell University and a J.D. from the Harvard Law School. He joined Williams & Connolly in 2006 after serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Joel M. Flaum, Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Steven’s experience includes:
- Lead trial counsel for Cardinal Health in In re Opioid Litigation (NY) trial. The case and statewide litigation were resolved favorably during trial.
- Trial counsel in a five-week state jury trial, Poppell, et al., v. Cardinal Health, et al. Law360 called the victory a “Milestone Trial” against twenty-one individual plaintiffs alleging damages based on the misuse of opioid medications. The jury provided a full win and the case was covered by national media, including The New York Times.
- Trial counsel in a two-week federal jury trial of a certified class action, Klopfenstein v. Fifth Third Bank, in which the jury provided a decisive win after 10 years of litigation against claims in excess of $400 million. The jury found no liability under the voluntary payment doctrine after trial testimony demonstrated that customers were fully aware of the price of the product at issue.
- Trial counsel in a successful three-week breach of contract trial concerning complex underlying patents. The jury found in favor of Steve’s client and awarded over $300 million. This verdict ranked as the #7 verdict of the National Law Journal Top 100 verdicts for the year. The verdict was affirmed by the Maryland Court of Special Appeals. In 2017, the Supreme Court denied certiorari, delivering a complete win.
- Trial counsel in a four-month bench trial in Washington State. The case was resolved favorably on the eve of closing arguments.
- National coordinating counsel for a healthcare services company in a nationwide opioid litigation consolidated in a federal MDL, as well as related state court litigations.
- Lead counsel for a national audit firm in state court litigation, successfully resolved shortly before trial.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in a nation-wide products liability action.
- Represented British Petroleum in multi-district litigation proceedings arising out of the Deepwater Horizon Spill.
- Represented a technology company and its officers in shareholder derivative litigation, resulting in dismissal by the trial court.
- Represented an individual accused of misappropriating trade secrets in criminal and civil litigation. The government’s indictment was dismissed with prejudice, and Steve’s client received payments from his former employer, thus resolving the civil case.
"Class Action/Mass Tort Litigation Trailblazer," The National Law Journal, 2023
Selected to Washington, D.C. “Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers, 2014-2015