Steven Pyser focuses his practice on complex civil litigation. Steve represents clients in high-profile mass tort and other cases—developing themes, preparing and defending key witnesses, and designing strategies that have resulted in favorable outcomes for his clients. He has successfully represented clients at trial and in confidential negotiations to his client’s benefit. His representations have included breach of contract, product liability, government investigations, accounting malpractice, and class-actions.
Steve received his B.S., with distinction, from Cornell University and a J.D. from the Harvard Law School. He joined Williams & Connolly in 2006 after serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Joel M. Flaum, Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Steven’s experience includes:
- Trial counsel in a three-week breach of contract case concerning complex underlying cases that resulted in a jury verdict in favor of his client and full collection of over $300 million by his client. This verdict ranked as the #7 verdict of The National Law Journal Top 100 verdicts for the year. As appellate counsel, the verdict was affirmed by the Maryland Court of Special Appeals. In 2017, the Supreme Court denied certiorari, delivering a complete win to the client.
- Defense of a healthcare services company in over 1,000 cases consolidated in a federal MDL, as well as related state court litigations.
- Lead counsel for national audit firm in state court litigation, successfully resolved shortly before trial.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in a nation-wide products liability action.
- Represented technology company and its officers in shareholder derivative litigation, resulting in dismissal by the trial court.
- Represented an individual accused of misappropriating trade secrets in criminal and civil litigation. The government’s indictment was dismissed with prejudice, and Steve’s client received payments from his former employer, thus resolving the civil case.
- Represented British Petroleum in multi-district litigation proceedings arising out of the Deepwater Horizon Spill.
- Represented a corporation accused of fraud and disclosure violations in federal court litigation against the SEC.
- Defended individuals and corporations in grand jury, Securities Exchange Commission, Federal Trade Commission, and Commodity Futures Trading Commission investigations, including resolutions that resulted in closure of the investigation with no government action.
- Defended a leading U.S. accounting firm and its partners accused of malpractice and other wrongdoing in federal and state courts.
- Represented technology and other companies facing class action litigation.
- Represented pro bono clients in a variety of criminal matters.
Selected to Washington, D.C. “Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers, 2014-2015