Steve Cady is a trial lawyer. He represents individuals and companies in complex civil matters and government investigations. He loves trying cases, fighting injustice and abuse of the legal system, and winning. He focuses primarily on matters involving health care, technology, government regulation, and national security.
Steve often is asked to tackle putative class actions, defend companies and their officers/directors from lawsuits and investigations, and prosecute cases on behalf of people and companies that have been wronged. He has served as lead counsel in dozens of cases in federal and state courts around the country. He has defeated billions in alleged claims against his clients, and has secured judgments for his clients of tens of millions.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, the results of Steve’s recent work include:
- Lead counsel at trial representing individuals who won a multi-million judgment in a commercial dispute case.
- Lead counsel at trial representing a client who won a mid-trial dismissal of a case, resulting in his client paying nothing.
- Lead counsel for a client who won summary judgment in a case filed by a government agency that sought to impose new standards and extract a large fine.
- Lead counsel for a client who won dismissal of a multi-billion dollar-lawsuit alleging tortious interference and unfair competition causes of action.
- Lead counsel for a client who won dismissal of a multi-billion-dollar lawsuit alleging violations of RICO.
- Lead counsel for a client who won dismissal of a multi-billion-dollar putative class action alleging breach of contract, unfair competition, and false advertising.
- Lead counsel for a client who won dismissal of a putative class action against a financial services company alleging lending violations.
- Lead counsel for a client who defeated class certification in a putative class action that sought to form a class action of tens of thousands of people, and defending that win on appeal.
- Represented a director of a public company who won dismissal of derivative claims that alleged breach of fiduciary duty.
- Successfully resolving numerous confidential government investigations, subpoenas, and civil investigative demands from various government agencies, including the Department of Justice, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, various Offices of Inspector General, the Federal Trade Commission, and Congress.
- Successfully represented a financial services company against allegations made by the Internal Revenue Service, resulting in the company paying nothing.
- Serve as chief outside counsel and corporate secretary to two non-profit organizations.
“500 Leading Litigators in America,” Lawdragon, 2023-2024
Selected to Washington, D.C. “Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers, 2014–2018
Other Government Service
Congressional Page, U.S. House of Representatives, 1996