Steve Cady focuses on civil and criminal trials, principally in matters relating to financial services, health care, technology, corporate governance, government investigations, and national security. Steve has tried numerous cases, including two as the lead attorney, and has filed and litigated lawsuits throughout the country. In recent years, he has tried a month-long civil jury trial defending a national bank, has served as lead outside counsel for companies and non-profit organizations, has led the defense against class actions involving hundreds of millions of dollars, and has led the prosecution of multi-million dollar lawsuits on behalf of individuals who have been wronged.
Steve is an experienced litigator and advocate on behalf of corporations, directors, officers, and individuals in cases involving the False Claims Act (FCA), the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA), the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), Team Telecom, anti-money laundering, compliance, health care, employment disputes, breach of contract, insider trading, corporate governance, securities laws, torts, and fiduciary issues, as well as grand jury and government investigations.
Steve was Managing Editor of the Georgetown Law Journal, and was selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyers 2014–2018 Washington, D.C. “Rising Stars” list for business litigation and criminal defense.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Steve’s experience includes:
- Successfully represented as lead trial counsel a restaurant company in a jury trial involving indemnification issues, resulting in the plaintiff’s case being dismissed and the company paying nothing.
- Successfully represented a national bank in a four-week jury trial regarding allegations of FIRREA violations, and in an appeal resulting in the bank having no liability.
- Successfully represented a major media company in a government investigation, resulting in no charges against the company.
- Successfully represented a financial services company in a grand jury investigation, resulting in no charges against the company.
- Successfully represented United States Senator Ted Stevens in a federal corruption trial, resulting in claims against the Senator being dismissed.
- Successfully represented the CEO of a major mortgage company against claims brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission involving allegations of insider trading and other allegations, resulting in a favorable resolution.
- Successfully represented a consumer finance company against allegations made by the Internal Revenue Service, resulting in the company paying nothing.
- Successfully represented an individual injured in an automobile accident, resulting in a favorable resolution.
- Successfully represented a technology company as plaintiff in a lawsuit against a company for Trademark infringement, resulting in complete capitulation by defendant.
- Successfully represented a family in a lawsuit to recover damages for breach of a real estate contract, recovering 100% of the claimed amount.
- Successfully represented an individual arrested for criminal trespass on White House grounds, resulting in no charges.
- Advised organizations on corporate governance issues, and served as corporate secretary on two Boards of Directors.
Selected to Washington, D.C. “Rising Stars” list, Super Lawyers, 2014–2018
Other Government Service
Congressional Page, U.S. House of Representatives, 1996