Paul Boehm is widely regarded as the next generation of Williams & Connolly’s top-tier Product Liability & Mass Tort practice group. Paul is a "Recognized Practitioner” by Chambers USA, and three times has been recognized by The Legal 500, most recently in 2018, which reported that “Paul Boehm stands out as a top-notch trial and strategic litigation talent.”
Paul manages high-profile product liability matters—developing case themes; building comprehensive expert strategies; preparing and defending key company witnesses; and designing early-stage litigation strategies resulting in pre-trial dismissals, favorable settlements, and defense verdicts—in state and federal courts across the country, including California, New Jersey, New York, Arizona, Missouri, Alabama, and Illinois.
In 2017 and 2018, after a nationwide search, The Legal 500 named Paul as one of only a few “Next Generation Lawyers” with the experience and proficiency to handle major product liability and mass tort litigation.
Paul has significant trial experience, including three jury trials as first chair, each of which resulted in a verdict for the defense. In 2016 Law360 selected Paul as one of the country’s five “Rising Star” Trial Lawyers. He was also selected as one of only six “Rising Stars” in Product Liability & Mass Torts, making Paul the only attorney in the country to gain this distinction in two categories.
Paul is known for his attention to detail, his knack for identifying successful long-term litigation strategies in the early stages of a case, and his ability to convert complex information into understandable themes.
Paul is the chair of Williams & Connolly’s Continuing Legal Education Committee and sits on the firm’s Associate Evaluation Committee. Paul also advises the Emory Law Institute for Complex Litigation and Mass Claims and the Duke Law Center for Judicial Studies, invitation-only groups made up of leading defense lawyers, plaintiffs lawyers, judges, and academics tasked with shaping the evolving terrain of complex litigation.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Paul’s experience includes:
- National counsel for Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. in Incretin-Based Therapies cases in federal and California state coordinated proceedings. Both the MDL and California state coordinated proceedings granted summary judgment to Merck. Paul continues to lead Merck’s defense in various other state cases and for purposes of plaintiffs’ appeal.
- Successfully representing one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical manufacturers in four jury trials in both state and federal courts. Paul also served as the client’s national coordination and settlement counsel.
- Lead counsel for national electronics and office supply retailer defending against personal injury claims involving allegations of catastrophic injuries.
- Lead counsel for one of the country’s largest Pharmacy Benefits Managers (PBMs) in False Claims Act matter in federal court. In December 2016, relator’s claims were dismissed with prejudice, and Paul continues to captain the client’s defense on appeal.
- Selected as trial counsel in a multi-state mass action on behalf of one of the world’s leading biotech companies. In 10 bellwether cases selected for trial, the California state court granted summary judgment in 7 cases and dismissed another. The rulings led to a favorable global settlement prior to trial.
- Lead trial counsel in three significant criminal jury trials. Defendants were acquitted by juries in all three cases.
- National regulatory counsel for manufacturer of skin hygiene products.