“Recognized by a peer firm as ‘one the best brief-writers I have encountered,’ Paul Boehm is accomplished at managing cases from the discovery phase through to trial, where he excels in digesting complex scientific information and presenting to juries in a compelling narrative.” -The Legal 500 (2023)
“He’s excellent. He knows the science and he’s very aware of where we need to position ourselves.” - Client report to Chambers USA (2020)
“Paul is a rising star. He’s someone with great judgment and sees the big picture.” - Client report to Chambers USA (2023)
“He can see how things are going to end up even before he begins.” - Chambers USA (2019)
“Paul Boehm stands out as a top-notch trial and strategic litigation talent.” -The Legal 500 (2018)
“Ability to master complicated scientific information and craft it into a compelling narrative to present to a jury.” - Law360 (2016)
“Very good oral advocate.” - Chambers USA (2019)
“A great colleague who is very skillful.” - Chambers USA (2020)
Paul Boehm is a nationally-recognized trial attorney with two decades of experience at Williams & Connolly’s Products Liability and Mass Torts practice group. Paul manages complex litigation on behalf of a variety of major multinational corporations from the earliest stages to final resolution, and has particular experience managing MDLs and coordinated proceedings in state courts across the country.
Based on confidential client interviews, The Legal 500 has recognized Paul as a national leader in product liability litigation since 2015, and in 2023 selected Paul as one of only 13 “Leading Lawyers” from its highest-ranked (Tier 1) product liability and mass tort practice groups. Chambers USA has recognized Paul as a leading practitioner in products liability and mass tort litigation every year since 2018.
Paul has significant trial experience as first chair and in a variety of other trial roles. Based on a national survey, Law360 selected Paul as one of five “Rising Star” trial attorneys and one of six “Rising Stars” in Product Liability & Mass Torts litigation, making Paul the only attorney in the country to earn this distinction in two categories.
Paul is co-chair of Williams & Connolly’s FDA Practice Group and chairs the firm’s Continuing Legal Education Committee. He also advises the Emory Law Institute for Complex Litigation and Mass Claims and the Duke Law Center for Judicial Studies, invitation-only groups made up of leading defense lawyers, plaintiffs’ lawyers, judges, and academics tasked with shaping the evolving terrain of complex litigation.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Paul’s experience includes:
- Lead national counsel for Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. in JANUVIA cases in federal multi-district and various state court proceedings, including California state coordinated proceedings. In 2021, the MDL (Southern District of California) and California JCCP (Los Angeles Superior Court) courts separately granted twin summary judgment victories to Merck based on preemption and general causation. The courts also excluded all of plaintiffs’ causation experts under Daubert and Sargon. Paul continues to lead Merck’s defense in various other state cases and for purposes of plaintiffs’ appeals.
- National counsel for Cardinal Health in opioids litigation, including in federal multi-district and various state courts, including in California state court coordinated proceedings.
- Leading trial preparation team on behalf of a major pharmaceutical company defending against reverse-payment antitrust allegations.
- National trial, coordination, and settlement counsel for one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical manufacturers in products liability litigation, including state court proceedings in California, New Jersey, and New York.
- Lead counsel, and selected as trial counsel, in a multi-state mass action on behalf of Genentech. In 10 bellwether cases selected for trial, the California state court handling the coordinated proceeding granted summary judgment in the majority of cases slated for potential trial, leading to a favorable global settlement.
- National counsel for Merck in VIOXX litigation in federal multi-district and various state court proceedings, including in California and New Jersey coordinated proceedings.
- Lead counsel for national electronics and office supply retailer defending against personal injury claims involving allegations of catastrophic injuries. Paul led discovery efforts revealing misidentification of the allegedly defective product, resulting in the case’s dismissal.
- Lead counsel for one of the country’s largest Pharmacy Benefits Managers (PBMs) in False Claims Act matter in federal court. In December 2016, relator’s claims were dismissed with prejudice, and the result was upheld on appeal before the 3rd Circuit.
- Lead trial counsel in three significant criminal jury trials. Defendants were acquitted by juries in all three cases.
- National regulatory counsel for manufacturer of skin hygiene products.