“He’s excellent. He knows the science and he’s very aware of where we need to position ourselves.” - Client to Chambers USA (2020)
“Paul Boehm stands out as a top-notch trial and strategic litigation talent.” -The Legal 500 (2018)
“He can see how things are going to end up even before he begins.” - Chambers USA (2019)
“Ability to master complicated scientific information and craft it into a compelling narrative to present to a jury.” - Law360 (2016)
“Very good oral advocate.” - Chambers USA (2019)
“A great colleague who is very skillful.” - Chambers USA (2020)
Paul Boehm is a nationally-recognized trial attorney with 16 years of experience at Williams & Connolly’s top-tier Product Liability & Mass Tort practice group, recently described by Chambers USA 2019 as “absolutely top-notch,” “easy to work with,” and “superb strategic thinkers across the board.”
Paul manages complex litigation on behalf of a variety of major multinational corporations from the earliest stages to final resolution. Based on interviews with clients and other nationally recognized litigators, Chambers USA 2019 selected Paul as one of 15 “Notable Practitioners” nationwide from its highest-ranked product liability practices. Chambers USA reports:
Paul Boehm has a growing practice in complex multidistrict litigation, frequently representing clients in the pharmaceutical sector in state and federal trials. According to sources, he is a “very good oral advocate” who “thinks about the end game from day one – he can see how things are going to end up even before he begins.”
In 2020, Chambers ranked Paul for the third year in a row, reporting that “peers regard him as ‘a great colleague who is very skillful’” and adding a client’s view: “He’s excellent. He knows the science and he’s very aware of where we need to position ourselves.”
The Legal 500 identifies Paul as one of a handful of “Next Generation Lawyers” from across the country in life sciences litigation, most recently reporting the recommendation of a longtime client: “Paul Boehm stands out as a top-notch trial and strategic litigation talent.”
Paul has significant trial experience, including three jury trials as first chair, each of which resulted in a verdict for the defense. Based on a national survey, Law360 selected Paul as one of five “Rising Star” trial attorneys and one of six “Rising Stars” in Product Liability & Mass Torts litigation, making Paul the only attorney in the country to earn this distinction in two categories.
Paul is co-chair of Williams & Connolly’s FDA Practice Group, chairs the firm’s Continuing Legal Education Committee, and sits on the firm’s Associate Evaluation Committee. He also advises the Emory Law Institute for Complex Litigation and Mass Claims and the Duke Law Center for Judicial Studies, invitation-only groups made up of leading defense lawyers, plaintiffs lawyers, judges, and academics tasked with shaping the evolving terrain of complex litigation.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Paul’s experience includes:
- Lead national counsel for Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. in JANUVIA cases in federal multi-district and various state court proceedings, including California state coordinated proceedings. In 2021, the MDL (Southern District of California) and California JCCP (Los Angeles Superior Court) courts separately granted twin summary judgment victories to Merck based on preemption and general causation. The courts also excluded all of plaintiffs’ causation experts under Daubert and Sargon. Paul continues to lead Merck’s defense in various other state cases and for purposes of plaintiffs’ appeals.
- National counsel for Cardinal Health in opioids litigation, including in federal multi-district and various state courts, including in California state court coordinated proceedings.
- National trial, coordination, and settlement counsel for one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical manufacturers in products liability litigation, including state court proceedings in California, New Jersey, and New York.
- Lead counsel, and selected as trial counsel, in a multi-state mass action on behalf of Genentech. In 10 bellwether cases selected for trial, the California state court handling the coordinated proceeding granted summary judgment in the majority of cases slated for potential trial, leading to a favorable global settlement.
- National counsel for Merck in VIOXX litigation in federal multi-district and various state court proceedings, including in California and New Jersey coordinated proceedings.
- Lead counsel for national electronics and office supply retailer defending against personal injury claims involving allegations of catastrophic injuries. Paul led discovery efforts revealing misidentification of the allegedly defective product, resulting in the case’s dismissal.
- Lead counsel for one of the country’s largest Pharmacy Benefits Managers (PBMs) in False Claims Act matter in federal court. In December 2016, relator’s claims were dismissed with prejudice, and the result was upheld on appeal before the 3rd Circuit.
- Lead trial counsel in three significant criminal jury trials. Defendants were acquitted by juries in all three cases.
- National regulatory counsel for manufacturer of skin hygiene products.