“Paul Boehm stands out as a top-notch trial and strategic litigation talent.” -The Legal 500 (2018)
“He can see how things are going to end up even before he begins.” - Chambers USA (2019)
“Ability to master complicated scientific information and craft it into a compelling narrative to present to a jury.” - Law360 (2016)
“Very good oral advocate.” - Chambers USA (2019)
Paul Boehm is a nationally-recognized trial attorney with 15 years of experience at Williams & Connolly’s top-tier Product Liability & Mass Tort practice group, recently described by Chambers USA 2019 as “absolutely top-notch,” “easy to work with,” and “superb strategic thinkers across the board.”
Paul manages complex litigation on behalf of a variety of major multinational corporations, primarily in the life sciences space, from the earliest stages to final resolution. Based on interviews with clients and other nationally recognized litigators, Chambers USA 2019 selected Paul as one of just 15 “Notable Practitioners” nationwide from its highest-ranked product liability practices. Chambers USA reports:
Paul Boehm has a growing practice in complex multidistrict litigation, frequently representing clients in the pharmaceutical sector in state and federal trials. According to sources, he is a “very good oral advocate” who “thinks about the end game from day one – he can see how things are going to end up even before he begins.”
The Legal 500 identifies Paul as one of a handful of “Next Generation Lawyers” from across the country in life sciences litigation, most recently reporting the recommendation of a longtime client: “Paul Boehm stands out as a top-notch trial and strategic litigation talent.”
Paul has significant trial experience, including three jury trials as first chair, each of which resulted in a verdict for the defense. Based on a national survey, Law360 selected Paul as one of five “Rising Star” trial attorneys and one of six “Rising Stars” in Product Liability & Mass Torts litigation, making Paul the only attorney in the country to earn this distinction in two categories.
Paul is co-chair of Williams & Connolly’s FDA Practice Group, chairs the firm’s Continuing Legal Education Committee, and sits on the firm’s Associate Evaluation Committee. He also advises the Emory Law Institute for Complex Litigation and Mass Claims and the Duke Law Center for Judicial Studies, invitation-only groups made up of leading defense lawyers, plaintiffs lawyers, judges, and academics tasked with shaping the evolving terrain of complex litigation.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Paul’s experience includes:
- National counsel for Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp. in Incretin-Based Therapies cases in federal and California state coordinated proceedings. Both the MDL and California state coordinated proceedings granted summary judgment to Merck. Paul continues to lead Merck’s defense in various other state cases and for purposes of plaintiffs’ appeal.
- Successfully representing one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical manufacturers in four jury trials in both state and federal courts. Paul also served as the client’s national coordination and settlement counsel.
- Lead counsel for national electronics and office supply retailer defending against personal injury claims involving allegations of catastrophic injuries.
- Lead counsel for one of the country’s largest Pharmacy Benefits Managers (PBMs) in False Claims Act matter in federal court. In December 2016, relator’s claims were dismissed with prejudice, and Paul continues to captain the client’s defense on appeal.
- Selected as trial counsel in a multi-state mass action on behalf of one of the world’s leading biotech companies. In 10 bellwether cases selected for trial, the California state court granted summary judgment in 7 cases and dismissed another. The rulings led to a favorable global settlement prior to trial.
- Lead trial counsel in three significant criminal jury trials. Defendants were acquitted by juries in all three cases.
- National regulatory counsel for manufacturer of skin hygiene products.