Dan Shanahan focuses on complex civil and criminal litigation. He has successfully represented clients in trial and appellate courtrooms throughout the United States. Mr. Shanahan’s practice spans a wide range of substantive areas including trade secret litigation, patent litigation, legal malpractice defense, criminal defense, government contracts, false claims, FCRA, class actions, and administrative law. He has defended corporate and individual clients in complicated criminal and civil investigations, and spearheaded an internal investigation for a large corporation. Mr. Shanahan serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s Unfair Competition, Trade Secrets and Restrictive Covenants practice group and is the former Chair of the firm’s Hiring Committee.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Shanahan served thirteen years on active duty in the United States Navy, including serving as the Communications Officer on an Aegis Cruiser and later as a judge advocate. As a judge advocate, Mr. Shanahan gained considerable trial experience trying cases ranging from theft to capital double murder. He also served as a civil litigation attorney with the Navy’s General Litigation Division, where he represented the Navy in federal courts in a wide range of civil matters including a large class action alleging violations of the First Amendment.
Recent Intellectual Property Cases
- From 2018 to present, lead counsel for plaintiff aerospace manufacturing company enforcing trade secret misappropriation claims against competitors in courts in the United States and Canada.
- In 2019, achieved successful settlement after litigation for defense company enforcing non-compete provision against departing senior executive
- In 2017, trial counsel for an ophthalmic company in a two-week jury trial in Delaware successfully defending against claims of patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation, and breach of contract.
- From 2015 to present, counsel for multinational electronics company defending against patent infringement claims related to touch screen technology.
- In 2010, trial counsel for an ophthalmic company in a trial successfully defending patents protecting market leading anti-allergic eye drop treatment.
Other Representative Cases
- Counsel for multiple law firms and attorneys accused of legal malpractice in cases involving intellectual property disputes.
- Lead trial counsel in over 25 criminal trials or hearings.
- Lead trial counsel defending capital murder case.
- Lead trial counsel defending double capital murder case.