Chris Mandernach focuses his practice on complex civil litigation in federal and state courts and arbitration tribunals nationwide. He has successfully handled a range of high-stakes litigations, arbitrations and investigations in complex commercial matters.
Chris represents clients in patent litigations. He has litigated on behalf of brand-name pharmaceutical manufacturers in numerous Hatch-Waxman litigations and inter partes review proceedings, and on behalf of medical device manufacturers and software companies in other patent infringement matters. He has also defended against legal malpractice allegations relating to patent prosecution.
Drawing on his experience as an officer in the United States Navy, Chris also represents defense-industry clients in complex matters that include a national security, defense, or government contracting component, including False Claims Act investigations and litigation, and government contract-related disputes. Chris has successfully litigated contract disputes and led government investigations on behalf of multiple global defense contractors where the damages alleged exceeded $1 billion.
Chris was selected for inclusion as a Rising Star in the 2017 and 2018 editions of Washington D.C. SuperLawyers.
A Minnesota native, Chris served as a Surface Warfare Officer in the United States Navy for eight years before beginning his legal career. He earned a combat action ribbon, among other decorations, for his service. He received his Bachelors of Science degree with distinction from the United States Naval Academy, and received his Masters of Arts degree in Security Policy Studies from the Elliott School of International Affairs at the George Washington University, where he served as a University Graduate Policy Fellow. Chris received his Juris Doctorate from Yale Law School.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Mr. Mandernach’s recent experience includes:
- Represented Novartis-division Alcon in trials involving Alcon’s Pazeo® and Patanol® products, and as litigation counsel for other products including Pataday®, Travatan Z®, and Patanase®
- Represented a global defense contractor in multiple commercial arbitrations before AAA panels, with alleged damages ranging from $18 million to more than $1 billion
- Defended a defrauded lender in multi-billion dollar bankruptcy clawback action arising out of a $14 billion Ponzi scheme
- Defended global software firm against alleged patent infringement
- Defended a publically traded university against allegations of securities fraud brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission
- Defended a law firm against alleged malpractice related to its prosecution of a patent
- Defended a medical device technology start-up against alleged patent infringement
- Defended a Fortune 100 pharmaceutical company in a nation-wide products liability action