Andrew Keyes has wide-ranging experience in a variety of commercial litigation and professional liability matters. As lead counsel, he has represented nationally known law firms and financial services companies, Fortune 500 corporations and a foreign government, in complex disputes before state and federal courts, arbitrators and appellate panels throughout the U.S. These matters have included commercial disputes, consumer class actions, trade secret litigation, professional malpractice cases, federal agency investigations and plaintiffs’ litigation. As lead trial counsel for plaintiffs, he has obtained judgments for his clients in excess of $300 million and defeated counterclaims in excess of $500 million.
After clerking for Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, Andy joined Williams & Connolly LLP in 1995. He has been a partner since 2003, and is a former member of the firm’s Hiring Committee.
A native of Arlington, Virginia, Andy has served on the board of directors of several nonprofit organizations. He has served on the boards of the Arlington Street People’s Assistance Network (A-SPAN), which provides services to homeless individuals, and AHC, Inc., which develops and maintains affordable housing. He lives in Arlington with his wife, Cathleen, and their four children.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Andy’s experience includes:
- Represented manufacturer of U.S. military HMMWV (“Humvee”) pursuing claims against part suppliers, obtaining judgments in two separate trials worth more than $300 million
- Represented at trial manufacturer of U.S. military Humvee against a supplier’s trade secret misappropriation claims seeking more than $500 million in damages; the supplier was not awarded any damages
- Defended oil and gas industry pioneer and exploration and production company against trade secret misappropriation claims seeking more than $250 million in damages
- Defended internationally prominent law firm in malpractice actions related to its representation of underwriters in secondary securities offering
- Represented internationally known consulting firm in financial services industry in multi-state litigation regarding independent foreclosure reviews performed pursuant to consent decrees with federal regulator
- Defended a global financial institution in litigation arising from nation-wide fraud perpetrated by the bank’s predecessor’s customer
- Defended one of the world’s largest law firms in malpractice action by government receiver arising from internal investigation for bank client
- Represented one of the largest automotive retailers in the United States in multiple nation-wide and state-wide consumer class actions
- Represented another of the largest automotive retailers in the United States in arbitrated disputes with its technology vendors
- Represented insurance company in multiple nation-wide and state-wide consumer class actions arising from retail sale of credit insurance for automotive financing
- Represented the Government of a Latin American country and its Central Bank in International Chamber of Commerce arbitration with three global banks
- Represented portfolio of business process outsourcing companies in litigation arising from sale of member company
- Defended national assisted living services provider in commercial disputes with its REIT partners
- Represented outside director of public company in securities class action and before SEC