Kevin Hardy is Co-Chair of the firm’s Patent Litigation practice and concentrates his practice on intellectual property disputes, including patent litigation, patent license and royalty disputes, as well as antitrust cases with an intellectual property component. He has served as lead counsel in a number of major intellectual property disputes before U.S. district courts and arbitral institutions. He also has represented clients in inter partes review and covered business method patent review proceedings before the Patent Office. Since 2014, Kevin has been recognized in IAM 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, which has praised his “ability to identify, capture and clearly articulate the relevant legal issues in litigation and licensing negotiations,” “for his adroitness at the confluence of IP and antitrust law.” and as “another of the outfit’s stellar young partners.”
In recent years, Kevin has played a leading role in multiple matters involving the licensing and enforcement of standard essential patents relating to wireless technology, and also has been involved in the firm’s representation of pharmaceutical clients in so-called “pay-for-delay” and related cases His patent litigation practice focuses on representing leading technology companies in district courts across the country, and he has also handled matters involving pharmaceutical products and medical devices.
A native of Wilmington, Delaware, Kevin received his B.A., with distinction in all subjects, from Cornell University and his J.D. from Columbia Law School, where he served as Special Issue Chair and Senior Editor of the Columbia Law Review. Prior to joining Williams & Connolly, Kevin served as a law clerk to Judge Walter K. Stapleton of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Serving as co-lead trial counsel in a major international patent licensing arbitration relating to standard essential patents and products with billions of dollars in revenue
- As lead counsel for a major software company in a variety of patent matters, both in federal court and before the PTAB, addressing issues related to user interfaces, audio and video codecs, digital image storage, transmission and content recognition, voice control of computers, photo tagging technology, online search, and more.
- Serving as lead trial counsel in an international arbitration regarding alleged breach of a patent license agreement
- Serving as co-lead counsel for a major technology in a two-week trial before the U.S. International Trade Commission in a case involving the enforcement and licensing of standard essential patents related to cellular technology
- Represented a leading technology company in antitrust suits challenging the defendants’ conduct in connection with two patent pools related to digital television technology
- Counsel for a global pharmaceutical company in multiple antitrust cases involving allegations that the company delayed development of generic versions of two drugs, including by pursuing allegedly “sham” patent litigation.
- Representing a leading pharmaceutical company in contract disputes regarding intellectual property rights in connection with joint ventures
IAM 1000, the World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, 2014-2019