Heidi Hubbard tries cases in state and federal courts throughout the country. She is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers; and she has been named among the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” in America (Benchmark Litigation 2021).
Heidi “gains accolades as ‘one of the best trial lawyers in the country’ for her skillful handling of ‘high-pressure situations, tough litigation and her broad experience in difficult jurisdictions.’” She is recommended as an “absolutely top-shelf and enormously talented trial lawyer” with a "genuine jury presence" Chambers USA (2013-2020).
LMG Life Sciences (2013-2020) highlights her “tremendous amount of trial experience” and, in 2017, named her “Product Liability Attorney of the Year.” Heidi also was named Benchmark Litigation’s “Product Liability Attorney of the Year” in 2016. Heidi currently co-chairs Williams & Connolly’s Products Liability, Torts & Medicine practice group.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Heidi’s experience includes:
- In 2019, Heidi was lead trial counsel for a global wealth management firm in a confidential, binding arbitration of discrimination claims. The arbitrator returned a decision in favor of Heidi’s client on all claims.
- In 2018, Heidi was lead trial counsel for a Fortune 100 company in a confidential, binding arbitration of products liability claims. Two weeks after the arbitration, the arbitrator returned a decision for Heidi’s client on all claims.
- Also in 2018, Heidi was lead trial counsel for a life sciences company in an antitrust case set for an 8-week jury trial in the Northern District of California. The case resolved four days before jury selection.
- In 2017, Heidi was lead trial counsel for the defense in state court in Wilmington, DE, in the trial-to-verdict of a commercial dispute involving claims in excess of $400 million. After summary judgment for Heidi’s client on trade secrets claims, the jury returned a defense verdict on the contract claims, thereby resolving all claims in favor of her client.
- In 2015, Heidi was lead trial counsel in a 2-month bench trial in the Southern District of New York, defending against $1billion+ in fraud and civil RICO claims. The case resolved after conclusion of the trial and while awaiting the court’s decision.
- In 2014, Heidi tried a pharmaceutical products liability jury trial (D. Mass.) that resulted in a defense verdict in favor of her client, marking the first time the client had prevailed on the adequacy of the warning for the injury at issue.
- In 2013, she tried a $500+ million commercial contract dispute involving a failed securitization, resulting in a defense judgment in favor of her client.
- Heidi also tried the first hormone therapy case to result in a defense verdict in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- In the past decade, Heidi has tried cases in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Wilmington, St. Louis, Chicago, California, Utah, and Nevada. And she has been lead counsel in trial-set cases in Colorado, Maryland, Florida, New Jersey, and West Virginia. Subject matters have included antitrust, products liability, intellectual property, professional liability, employment, and a variety of sophisticated commercial transactions.
- Heidi's products liability and personal injury defense work has involved pharmaceuticals, surgical implants, medical-device component parts, children's products, electrical devices, and exposure claims arising from talc, asbestos, and chemical spills.
- In the qui tam/false claims act area, Heidi has defended matters in state and federal court involving alleged contractual breaches and claims of implied certification.
- Heidi also has handled internal investigations and other confidential engagements for clients on compliance and employment issues.
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
"Litigation: Trial Lawyers – USA (Global),” Chambers USA, 2020-2021
"Litigation: Trial Lawyers (Nationwide)," Chambers USA, 2018-2020
"Products Liability & Mass Torts (Nationwide)," Chambers USA, 2007-2020
"National Practice Area Star," Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2021
"Local Litigation Star," Benchmark Litigation, 2012-2021
“500 Leading Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2015-2021
Recommended for Healthcare Law, Who’s Who Legal: Healthcare 2020
“Top 100 Trial Lawyers,” Benchmark Litigation, 2015-2021
“Top 10 Women in Litigation,” Benchmark Litigation, 2017-2019
"Litigation:“Leading Lawyer” in the category of Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense: Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices, The Legal 500, 2019
“Life Science Star,” LMG Life Sciences, 2012-2020
“Washington’s Top Lawyers,” in the category of Civil Defense, Washingtonian magazine, 2017-2018, 2020
"Product Liability Attorney of the Year," LMG Life Sciences, 2017
“Products Liability Attorney of the Year (Nationwide),” Benchmark Litigation, 2016
“Trial Pros Q&A: Williams & Connolly’s Heidi Hubbard,” Law360, 2016
“Female Powerbrokers Q&A: Williams & Connolly's Heidi Hubbard,” Law360, 2014