Heidi Hubbard tries cases in state and federal courts throughout the country. Her practice includes commercial litigation of all kinds, as well as the defense of products liability claims, multidistrict litigation, and class actions. Heidi is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers; and she has been named among the “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” in America (Benchmark Litigation 2018). She currently serves on Williams & Connolly’s 6-member Executive Committee.
Heidi comes recommended as an “absolutely top-shelf and enormously talented trial lawyer” who is “smart, focused, practical, and able to prioritize.” She is commended for her "genuine jury presence." Chambers USA (2013-2018).
LMG Life Sciences (2013-2018) highlights her “tremendous amount of trial experience” and, in 2017 and 2018, named her “Product Liability Attorney of the Year.” Heidi also was named Benchmark Litigation’s “Product Liability Attorney of the Year” in 2016. Heidi currently co-chairs Williams & Connolly’s Products Liability, Torts & Medicine practice group.
In addition to her trial work, Heidi handles some investigation work for clients, including internal investigations on compliance and employment issues, as well as representing clients in government investigations and related qui tam litigation.
After graduating from Stanford Law School, Heidi joined Williams & Connolly in 1986. From 1992 to 1993, she took a leave of absence to join the full-time faculty at Brigham Young University's law school in her home state of Utah, where she taught torts and trial practice and coordinated the trial advocacy program. She returned to Williams & Connolly in 1993 and has been a partner since January 1996.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, Heidi’s experience includes:
- In 2018, Heidi was lead trial counsel for the defense in a confidential, private arbitration of a products liability claim. Two weeks after the arbitration, the arbitrator returned a decision for Heidi’s client on all claims.
- In February 2018, Heidi was lead trial counsel for Endo Pharmaceuticals in an antitrust case set for an 8-week jury trial in the Northern District of California. The case resolved four days before jury selection.
- In 2017, Heidi was lead trial counsel for the defense in state court in Wilmington, DE, in the trial-to-verdict of a commercial dispute involving claims in excess of $400 million. After summary judgment for Heidi’s client on trade secrets claims, the jury returned a defense verdict on the contract claims, thereby resolving all claims in favor of her client.
- In 2015, Heidi was lead trial counsel in a 2-month bench trial in the Southern District of New York, defending against $1billion+ in fraud and civil RICO claims; the case resolved after conclusion of the trial and while awaiting the court’s decision.
- In 2014, she tried a pharmaceutical products liability trial (D. Mass.) that resulted in a defense verdict in favor of her client, marking the first time the client had prevailed on the adequacy of the warning for the injury at issue.
- In 2013, she tried a $500+ million commercial contract dispute involving a failed securitization, resulting in a defense judgment in favor of her client.
- Heidi also tried the first hormone therapy case to result in a defense verdict in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas.
- In the past decade, Heidi has tried cases in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Wilmington, St. Louis, Chicago, California, Utah, and Nevada. And she has been lead counsel in trial-set cases in Colorado, Maryland, Florida, New Jersey, and West Virginia. Subject matters have included antitrust, intellectual property, products liability, professional liability, and a variety of sophisticated commercial transactions.
- Heidi's products liability and personal injury defense work has involved pharmaceuticals, surgical implants, medical-device component parts, children's products, electrical devices, and exposure claims arising from talc, asbestos, and chemical spills.
- In the qui tam/false claims act area, Heidi has defended matters in state and federal court involving alleged contractual breaches and claims of implied certification. She also has handled some investigations and other confidential matters for clients on compliance and employment issues.
- Heidi also has handled internal investigations and other confidential engagements for clients on compliance and employment issues.
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
“Top 100 Trial Lawyers,” Benchmark Litigation, 2015-2018
"Product Liability Attorney of the Year," LMG Life Sciences, 2017-2018
“Products Liability Attorney of the Year (Nationwide),” Benchmark Litigation, 2016
Band 1 (and Spotlight Table), Products Liability & Mass Torts (Nationwide), Chambers USA, 2016-2018
"Litigation: Trial Lawyers (Nationwide)," Chambers USA, 2018
“Trial Pros Q&A: Williams & Connolly’s Heidi Hubbard,” Law360, 2016
“Life Science Star,” LMG Life Sciences, 2012-2018
"National Litigation Star," Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2019
“Top 250 Women in Litigation,” Benchmark Litigation, 2013-2018
“Washington’s Top Lawyers,” in the category of Civil Defense, Washingtonian magazine, 2017
AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
“Female Powerbrokers Q&A: Williams & Connolly's Heidi Hubbard,” Law360, 2014
“500 Leading Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2015-2018