David Blatt’s practice is concentrated in three areas: general civil and commercial litigation, products liability litigation, and professional liability litigation. David has represented numerous individuals, pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, health-care companies, law firms, financial institutions, energy providers, Internet service providers, class action plaintiffs and defendants, and officers and directors in civil litigation and criminal investigations. He has represented these and other clients in trials and appeals throughout the country in federal court, state court, and arbitrations. David is personally involved in all aspects of his clients’ cases, from pre-suit investigation and filing, through briefing, hearings, and depositions, to trial and appeal.
David grew up in New Haven, Connecticut, and received his B.A., summa cum laude, with distinction in history and Judaic Studies from Yale College in 1985 and his J.D. from Yale Law School. He joined Williams & Connolly in 1989 after clerking for Judge Alvin B. Rubin of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Though all cases vary and none is predictive, David’s experience includes:
- Trial counsel in successful defense through judgment of a public company in a contract dispute with its investment banker
- Trial counsel in successful defense of major law firms in legal malpractice actions, including through judgment and appeal
- Trial counsel in successful defense through judgment of a manufacturer against allegations of negligence, fraud, and deceptive trade practices, obtaining an award of attorneys’ fees
- Trial counsel in successful defense of a pharmaceutical company in a wrongful death product liability action concerning a drug withdrawn from the market (case dismissed during jury selection after pretrial rulings)
- Co-lead counsel defending multiple financial institutions in a variety of litigation against securities and contract claims involving billions of dollars of mortgage-backed securities
- Nationwide responsibility for scores of product liability lawsuits relating to medical devices
- Nationwide responsibility for developing all experts and formulating the scientific defense in a pharmaceutical mass tort involving tens of thousands of lawsuits and tens of billions of dollars in claimed damages related to a drug that allegedly caused heart attacks, strokes, and death
- Successful defense of Internet service provider accused of fraud
- Procurement of favorable settlement for independent power producer accused of causing hundreds of millions of dollars in damages by breach of contract
- Successful defense of companies in intellectual property litigation
- Successfully sued for millions of dollars for a widow and her children after they were left nothing in their husband/father’s will.