Tom Selby maintains a broad-spectrum national litigation practice, with particular focus on patent litigation, professional liability defense, and other civil trial and arbitration matters.
Mr. Selby has represented clients in intellectual property disputes over biotech, pharmaceutical, and communications technologies. He recently served as lead counsel to a Fortune 50 company in major patent litigation.
For a decade, Mr. Selby has represented a national audit and accounting firm in dozens of litigation and regulatory matters.
Mr. Selby has also represented clients in investigations by the United States Congress, the federal Office of Inspector General, the Securities & Exchange Commission, and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
Recent matters include:
- 2013: Lead counsel for a biotechnology company in interference proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- 2012: Lead trial counsel for major pharmaceutical firm in Hatch-Waxman patent trial in federal district court.
- 2012: Lead counsel for tax consulting firm in tax shelter litigation.
- 2012: Lead counsel for national accounting firm in professional malpractice litigation.
- 2012: Lead counsel for national accounting firm in state and federal regulatory investigations and licensing disputes.
- 2012: Counsel for high tech SEC registrant in enforcement matter.
In his pro bono practice, Mr. Selby represents a client on Louisiana’s death row in post-conviction proceedings, and successfully represented an inmate in habeas corpus proceedings appealed from the Louisiana Supreme Court. He has also handled matters through the firm’s partnership with the Montgomery County Public Defender’s office, including a jury trial on behalf of a firm client.
Mr. Selby was born and raised in Austin, Texas, and graduated from the University of Chicago in 1990. Between college and law school, Mr. Selby spent six years working in Texas state and local government and politics. Mr. Selby received his J.D., with honors, from the University of Texas School of Law, where he was a member of the Texas Law Review and the American Journal of Criminal Law. He joined Williams & Connolly LLP in 1999.
Mr. Selby lives in Arlington, Virginia with his wife, Deirdre Doyle, and their two children.